[mou] ID skills retooling

Sharon Stiteler birdchick at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 15:48:42 CDT 2007

I have to agree that today, there are plenty of digital tools to use
to confirm id.  You can get great digital cameras at very reasonable
prices that will even take small video and have a decent microphone
to at least pick up the call.  Not to mention digiscoping with a
digital camera and your binoculars.

And I'm no "high priestess of birding" but I get my fair share of id
questions through my website.  I get sent many photos with incorrect
ids, or photos of what I think are common birds, but people don't
know what they are.  I've also experienced this picking up injured
birds for The Raptor Center, people will call in and swear it's a
raptor, right down to the curved beak and talons.  When you get
there--it's a pigeon!  Even I've developed a certain amount of
skepticism--just last night, I had someone telling me about a
northern harrier taking out pigeons and nesting along University
Avenue in Minneapolis--there's no doubt in my mind that it's a
Cooper's hawk without even looking at it just based on where it was
and how the hunting style was described.  So, I understand why
records committees and more experienced birders don't always take and
unusual sightings at face value.

It's just all part of the joy and learning curve that is birding.

Sharon Stiteler
www.birdchick.com
Minneapolis, MN