[mou] Our experts

Tom Bell tnejbell at comcast.net
Thu Jul 19 11:37:24 CDT 2007

    The committee in Minnesota that is responsible for deciding what the status of a particular species should be for our state is the Minnesota Ornithologists Union Records Committee (MOURC). I know the members of this committee and have been with most on birding events and they are all much better birders than I am and I am glad they make the decisions. This committee over the years has made us better birders for by necessity they have to be fussy about the documentation supplied. One should never feel intimidated about submitting a record of a bird one feels is unusual for time and place. If your record is rejected look at it as a learning experience. The committee does not say that you did not see the bird they are just saying that more or better documentation is necessary to enter into the states records. It is a good experience just to complete the documentation information to learn what is called for.

Tom Bell
on Grey Cloud Island
5868 Pioneer Road South
Saint Paul Park MN 55071-1143