[mou] Records Committees

Jim Barrett jwbarrett10 at msn.com
Sun Jul 22 22:32:54 CDT 2007

I think that this has been an interesting thread, and I would like to weigh
in on it.

Science is Science.

Science is cold, objective, and unfeeling.  It deals with truth and and the
pursuit thereof.

Birding, as a hobby, is extremely fulfilling and one's observations and
interpretations of birds seen is an exciting part of that hobby.
Certainly, no harm could come of keeping one's own list of birds seen or
pretty-sure-to-have-been-seen.

Please note that that last sentence is in no way meant to diminish anybody's
birding experience.  Identifying birds is challenging and mistakes get made.
  Period.  I've made them.  We've all made them.   No harm done, right?

Right!..........UNTIL we begin to enter those sightings into official state
records.  That's where hobby crosses into that cold, unfeeling  area of
Science.

Nobody should need to feel intimidated about submitting a sighting for
review by the records committee.  But, neither, should that person feel
slighted or ashamed if that report is rejected.   Without high standards,
the state list would be suspect and would be vulnerable to criticism by all
and---ultimately---would itself be tainted.

It's not a matter of arrogance; or elitist attitudes; or "High priest" ism.
It's a matter of scientific documentation.  Many people of every level of
expertise have seen unusual birds.  I will go to my grave knowing I've seen
a couple of birds that were dismissed on the listservs and would certainly
have been rejected by the records committee. .  Did I document them
correctly?  NO!  And, thus, they do not deserve to be listed.  Do I feel
badly about this?  No, because I will, again, go to my grave enjoying the
knowledge that I sighted these birds (OK, one was not that uncommon).

So, how to alleviate this problem?  My own approach (and, Pastor Al, this
finally provides a response to your query), is to use a microcassette (or
digital) recorder in the field.  As you view a bird, DESCRIBE it into the
recorder.  Describe every single detail (feather edges [which feathers?],
proportions (tail length vs body length, bill length vs head length, etc.),
color (rufus, tan, cream, cinnamon, etc.),  behavior, location, habitat,
etc., etc.

I think many people would benefit greatly  (and enjoy birding more) by
re-reading the first 20 pages of their field guides to re-learn bird
topography, the various feather tracts, tips on ID'ing, songs, etc.

Don't feel hurt or slighted if a report is rejected.  That's the nature of
science.  It seeks to propel us toward the truth.

OK, so what is to prevent someone from reading all the field marks of a
bird, then submitting a detailed report of the bird?  This is a rhetorical
question that addresses the challenges the Records Committee faces on a
daily basis.  Not neccessarily fraud, but an observation that was
"augmented" by info from field guides.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but if you wish to submit a record, then
support your observation with detailed, objective information.