[mou] Records Committees/science

P Hertzel phertzel at rconnect.com
Mon Jul 23 13:14:19 CDT 2007

Richard's Wood asked "So where is the science in record
keeping?".  It is as much a mistake to equate the records committee
process with a secretarial task as it is to equate it with a judicial
task. The best description is that it is a peer review process
familiar to anyone who has tried to publish scientific data. The
"science" is done by the field birder (hence the phrase "citizen
scientist"), who writes his/her finding in a documentation. A records
committee then acts as a peer-review panel, and as an editor. It may
be a terrible process, but it's the only we have, and it does a
pretty job of enabling careful, science-minded citizens to contribute
to our ever-changing understanding of bird distributions.

Paul Hertzel
Mason City, IA