[mou] Lac Qui Parle County and surrounding areas - 7/22 - 24, 2007

CRAIG MANDEL EgretCMan at msn.com
Wed Jul 25 14:24:33 CDT 2007

7/22 - 24, 2007

Led a group to Lac Qui Parle State park and the areas near by over the last
few days and here are some of the highlights.

109 - total species observed by the group, with many of those observed with
young, or carrying food.

Clark's Grebe - We missed on this bird at lake Thielke, on Monday afternoon.
But there were many Grebes in a far corner of the lake, that were to far
away to ID.  It was great to watch the Western Grebes, with young riding on
there backs.

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron - We missed this bird, but enjoyed about 2 hours
in the area on the evening of the 22nd.  There were lots of Great Egrets and
Great Blue Herons and several Black-crowned Night-Herons in the area.

American Avocet - 3 birds were observed on the West end of the lake.  With
two in South Dakota and one in Minnesota.

Eurasian Collared-Dove - two were observed in the town of Milan, at some
feeders next to a house across from the Grain Elevators.

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - Big Stone NWR - along the auto tour drive, west of
the bathrooms.

Craig Mandel
EgretCMan at msn.com