[mou] Duluth Buff-Breasted Sandpipers....

SCmzd at aol.com SCmzd at aol.com
Sat Jul 28 10:32:43 CDT 2007

First I would like to personally thank Dave and Sarah Grosshuesch for their
having Jim Lind post their sightings of the buff breasteds in Duluth!  I  went
this morning to check it out and sure enough there were three beautiful  buff
breasteds foraging on the baseball/soccer fields at Park Point.  Not  since
spring migration this year have I had such an intense feeling of joy as I  did
this AM while enjoying these birds.  The birds were beyond tolerant of  my
approach.  In fact, after they walked around me within TWO FEET!, I came  to the
conclusion that these birds had not spent much time around  humankind.
Completely tame! unbelievable, transcedence indeed!  I  spent two hours with these
birds, watching them pluck at small grasshoppers,  pull up grubs, preen,
stretch, and softly cluck at each other.  They are so  beautiful.  They would
occasionally tire and after preening would nestle  down into the brown grass and
rest.  Only two would bed down like this at a  time, the third bird would always
stand gaurd.  What's really interesting  to me is how devoid of insect life I
presumed that cut brown grass to be,  compared with how jam packed with insect
life it really is.  I will post an  image on recently seen, and later add a
few more to the minnesota  gallery. If you're in the area, check them out-WOW!
Shawn  Z.