[mou] Inter-Species Feeding

Curt Rawn CNR22 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 29 22:58:29 CDT 2007

Larry,
I have had a Chipping Sparrow and a Cowbird at my feeder too. I had read of
this from other sources and was also confused by the size and look of the
chick when I finally saw one.
A year earlier, before I learned of MOUMN.ORG, I had a similar experience at
my suet feeder.  An adult Downy had been feeding on the feeder when a Downy
chick flew up and perched on the wall near it.  The adult stuffed some suet
into the chick's open mouth and flew off leaving the chick on the wall.
Moments later a Black-capped Chickadee landed on the feeder; when the Downy
chick  fluttered its wings the Chickadee also stuffed some suet into the
Downy's mouth.
That parenting instinct seems pretty  strong.
Curt Rawn
Plymouth, MN