[mou] Brewster's, Shorebirds, Lesser Black-Backed

Pastor Al Schirmacher pastoral at princetonfreechurch.net
Mon Jul 30 10:23:48 CDT 2007

Brief walk on Blue Hill Trail, Sherburne NWR yielded a Blue-winged,
Golden-winged and Brewster's (latter calling) in same trees, hmmm....

Seven shorebird species at Foley ponds on Saturday, nothing unusual.  Little
shorebird activity at Gilman ponds or along the Mille Lacs lakefront (north
to Garrison).  Actually, not much discovered shorebird activity in the area
period.

My apologies for creating confusion about the Lesser Black-backed Gull in
last Monday's follow up post.  Compared notes with Nathan (my son, the
photographer) this weekend, we agreed that the LBB was indeed smaller than
the two juvenile Herrings nearby - and that the bird was in Mille Lacs
County, not Crow Wing.  Brain cramps.  Multiple.

He & I birded the western edge of Mille Lacs Lake, Onamia to Garrison on
late Saturday morning, early Saturday afternoon - gulls have dramatically
increased, but did not find the LBB again.  However, the spot it was
previously seen at - rock formation on the northern side of Wigwam Bay - was
packed with gulls 4-5 layers deep, so we certainly could have missed it from
the busy 169 vantage spot.

Good birding to all.

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN