[mou] Kasota Prairie birding

Chad Heins odunamis at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 31 13:41:18 CDT 2007

Hey birders!

I had a chance to get out with my 3-year old this morning for a little drive and hike so my wife could get some extra sleep.

Our biggest surprise was a molting male Tennessee Warbler, definitely the earliest I have seen this species on return migration.  We also had great looks at a Black-billed Cuckoo right along the road.

The Unimin property in this area has low water and exposed mudflats.  However, there was only a couple of Killdeer and a Spotted Sandpiper in attendance.  Some of the pastures in that area have very low growth and may be worth searching for upland sandpipers and plovers.  Upland Sandpipers nest in the vicinity.

Happy birding!

Chad Heins
Mankato, MN