[mou] Peregrines in Duluth

Howard Weinberg hjw_forest at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 1 09:15:59 CDT 2007

It's well known that peregrine falcon's now nest on buildings and bridges around the country, as they do here in Duluth.  For some reason though, I hadn't checked them out, maybe thinking it wasn't so special since it is increasingly a common site.  I was wrong.  This afternoon I had a few spare moments at lunch so went to check out the peregrine watch set up by Hawk Ridge at Lake Pace Plaza at the Lakewalk.  It really was something.  Two naturalists, Julie and Margaret, were up there providing info.  They had a scope focused on the falcon nest box, where the mom falcon was preening, and a few nestlings shuffling around inside the box.  There is also a nest cam set up in the nest box, so we got to see the birds up close and personal.  Then they showed us the dad, who was perched on another building, which apparently is a favorite perch site.  It was really exciting to watch powerful animals going about the business of making a living.  Definitely worth checking out.