[mou] Waseca County Today - Moorhens

Julian Sellers JulianSellers at msn.com
Mon Jun 4 22:16:56 CDT 2007

Arrived at the Senn-Rich WMA at about 8:30, hung around the SE corner for a total of about an hour listening for a Bell's Vireo, but did not hear one.  I did hear one on the county property to the north of the WMA.  Saw a Black-billed Cuckoo, and saw or heard several Eastern Towhees in the SE corner of the WMA.

At Mott Lake, the Red-necked Grebes that have nested there in good number for the last 10 or so years have disappeared, except for one pair in the wetland across the road from the NW corner of the lake.  The water is high in Mott Lake, but that has happened in past years, too, and the Red-necked Grebes have remained and re-nested.  Maybe this is where the more southerly Red-necked Grebes reported on MOU-NET came from.

There were only four birds on Mott Lake--two Mallards and a pair of Western Grebes (which are uncommon in the county).  I have never seen the lake so deserted.

At Courthouse Park in the late afternoon, I got drenched.  After the rain, the following birds sang:  Yellow-throated and Red-eyed Vireos, three Scarlet Tanagers, a few Ovenbirds, a Barred Owl, two Wood Thrushes.

At Moonan Marsh, I saw two Common Moorhens where two families were present last summer.  This is NE of Waseca, where County Road 4 curves from north to east around the NW corner of Moonan Marsh WMA.  There is room for one car to pull off (on the right side), overlooking a wetland where a white sign announces work of Ducks Unlimited and the DNR.  The moorhens like to hang out on the far side of the open water (need a scope).  Viewing is best with late afternoon sun.

Julian
St. Paul