[mou] Aitkin County this last weekend

Warren wenelson at mlecmn.net
Mon Jun 11 19:37:47 CDT 2007

I birded with several different people this past weekend ( Bill
Stauffer, Neil and Mona Case and Don and Gale Murphy). We found a total
of 115 species. A few of the noteables: The UPLAND SANDPIPERS (6)are
back at the Aitkin airport along the north/south runway.There are 2
CONNECTICUT WARBLERS  calling along Pietz's Road , both within 200 yards
north of County Road 18 (birds are on the west side of Pietz's road). We
also had SHARP-TAILED GROUSE in the road right at the junction of County
Road 18 and County Road 5. There are several CAPE MAY WARBLERS at the
Rabey Tree farm near the milepost 186 along highway 200 between Hill
City and Jacobson. There were 2 YELLOW RAILS calling at the McGregor
Marsh on the west side of the road midway between the junction of hwys
210 and 65 and the ditch that cuts through the marsh.  There was also a
NELSON'S SHARP-TAILED SPARROW calling in the same area. You may want to
note that the marsh on the west side of the road is now pretty much all
a big floating bog with fairly deep water. A few other birds:
OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER, YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER, CANADA WARBLER,  and
a TRUMPETER SWAN sitting on its nest.  Warren Nelson