[mou] Fw: Cerulean Warbler - Red Wing

Phil Dech pdech at charter.net
Wed Jun 20 13:05:55 CDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: Phil Dech
To: mou-net-request at cbs.umn.edu ; mnbird-request at lists.mnbird.net
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 5:20 PM
Subject: Cerulean Warbler - Red Wing

I birded Cannon Bottom Rd. this afternoon.  The present-day road peters out just after it crosses the Cannon Valley Trail.  A small parking area for the Trail is located there.  The remnant of Cannon Bottom Rd. is an overgrown path that cuts across the Cannon River Bottom for about 3/4 mile, where it ends at Collischan Rd.  I was about 1/4 mile in from the bridge at the Trail end.  One passes underneath an arch of overgrown vegetation there.  You can look up and see the underside of the top part of the canopy.  At that point the path is perhaps 10-15 yards from the east branch of the Cannon River as it passes through the bottom.  The bird was calling and actively foraging in the canopy almost directly over my head.  I was able to watch him for about 5 minutes, and got some amazing looks from 8-10 feet away.

Cannon Bottom Rd. is a left turn off Hwy 61 as one approaches Red Wing from the west, just before the Anderson Center on the outskirts of town.  It is just west of Hwy 19.

Phil Dech