[mou] FW: Chat seen at Cliff Fen today at mid-morning

Laura Coble shearwater45 at frontiernet.net
Thu Jun 21 13:19:16 CDT 2007

  _____

From: Laura Coble [mailto:shearwater45 at frontiernet.net]
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 1:13 PM
To: 'mnbird at lists.mnbird.net'
Subject: Chat seen at Cliff Fen today at mid-morning

I had excellent views of the Yellow-breasted Chat at Black Dog Preserve,
Cliff Fen today. It was closer to the third power structure, near some
Cottonwood trees. It flitted in and out of the bushes, up to the Cottonwoods
behind the bushes, and back again. It perched long enough to be clearly
seen, didn't sing, but gave soft calls.The first time I spotted it, it was
on the side of a tree trunk. Complete directions to this location are on the
the MOU website under "Birding in Minnesota" and "Recently Seen".

Thanks to photographers Jerry and Michael, who had found the Chat flying in
the open before I arrived. We all had previously heard singing from what
might have been a second Chat before reaching this Chat's location. We also
heard a Bell's vireo, though I didn't see it today. There were many regular,
very active summer birds, and the butterflies and wild flowers are
spectacular.

Laura Coble
Cannon Falls