[mou] Scott, Hennepin, and Dakota Counties

alyssa tiger150 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 30 16:53:53 CDT 2007

Bob Dunlap and I enjoyed an overall productive day. At Murphy-Hanrehan:
Veery (singing within the Hooded Warbler's triangle)
Grasshopper Sparrow (before the 32 mark on the pet trail)
Henslow's Sparrow (same as above, great looks from 25 feet away!)
Another birder said that there were several more Henslow's between markers 32 and 34.

Then, at Old Cedar Avenue, the Acadian Flycatcher called "pizza!" on and off in the same spot around noon. He was rather uncooperative for us and several other birders. Also, despite the dropping water level, a Virginia Rail (or two?) were still heard from the boardwalk.

Lastly, we drove along Emery Lane and discovered 2 Loggerhead Shrikes on a sign in someone's yard. One was a fledged shrike, as he begged for food from his parent. A little further down, another adult was seen on a wire. There could have been a Swainson's Hawk not far from the intersection it had been reported at before, but there were several Red-tailed's in the area, and we had a bad view. Good birding to all!

Alyssa DeRubeis
tiger150 at comcast.net