[mou] April Big Day results--133 species

Tom Nelson tomanelson at mac.com
Wed May 2 05:32:36 EDT 2007

Jim Hughes and I recorded 133 species on a very enjoyable Minnesota
Big Day on Monday (4/30/07).

The total included only nine shorebird species and three warbler
species.  Some highlights are below.

At Cedar Creek, Anoka County:
Grasshopper Sparrow

At Carlos Avery, Anoka County:
Yellow Rail (multiple locations on the drive from Pool 1 to Pool 10)

At Murphy-Hanrehan, Scott County:
Henslow's Sparrow
Le Conte's Sparrow
Eastern Towhee
Nashville Warbler

At Black Dog, Dakota County:
Warbling Vireo (along with nesting Peregrine Falcon, Bald Eagle,
Osprey, Belted Kingfisher, and Bank Swallow)

At Lake Osakis, Douglas County:
Horned Grebe
Greater Scaup

Near Pelican Lake, Grant County:
Cattle Egret (4 birds at the "traditional" location near the
southeast portion of the lake)

At Felton Prairie, Clay County:
Lark Sparrow
Greater Prairie-Chicken
Loggerhead Shrike
Bonaparte's Gull
Lapland Longspur
Chestnut-collared Longspur
Marbled Godwit
Upland Sandpiper

At the Thief River Falls lagoons, Pennington County:
Snow Goose
Eared Grebe

At Agassiz, Marshall County:
American Bittern
Greater Yellowlegs
Long-billed Dowitcher (ID confirmed by flight call)

At the Highway 310 bog, Roseau County:
Winter Wren
Brown Creeper
Ruffed Grouse
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Hermit Thrush

Tom Nelson
Ramsey County

P.S. When we reached the Crookston lagoons in Polk County, we found
the gates locked and a "new" sign saying "...trespassing for any
purpose is strictly forbidden".