[mou] Dakota Cty: 140th Friday night

Jim Ryan muchmoredoc at gmail.com
Fri May 4 22:28:49 EDT 2007

On Sharon Stiteler's post I decided to run down to 140th tonight:
Doug Keiser was present when I arrived.   Not much going on by 7pm shorebird
wise

Lesser Yellowlegs -FOY
Spotted Sandpiper -FOY
Blue wing teal - several
Mallard
Canada goose pair with chicks

I think I saw a flock of longspurs flying over hwy 52.  They were tightly
packed, about 15-20 brownish gray sparrow size birds.
Not counting them

Saw/heard FOY Brown Thrasher
Saw/heard FOY Clay-colored sparrow - both along 140th

Also saw Tom turkey struttin his stuff for two hens in cornfield and several
pheasants on the N. side by Emery Ave.

I swung north and headed home along hwy 55.  Saw RT hawk on utility pole E
of 145th Junction.

Just W. of the RR tracks I saw two more raptors in a dead tree.  I pulled in
to check 'em out:  BINGO!!~

2 Swainsons Hawks!! (FOY)

One in full mature plumage, the other slightly more mottled on the wings and
collar.  Nice views...I notified Steve Weston who happened to be nearby and
he got a look at the mottled one.. The other took off to the north before he
arrived.  Off to Hok-Si-La tomorrow.

--
Sincerely,

Jim Ryan on St. Paul's Westside
651-308-0234 cell

"A man who dares to waste an hour of time has not discovered the value of
life." - Charles Darwin