[mou] 180th, 140th St. marshes

Jim Ryan muchmoredoc at gmail.com
Mon May 7 09:10:22 EDT 2007

Birders,
Late report here but on the way home from Saturday's MRVAC trip to Hok-Si La
I stopped at 180th Street marsh and got an unexpected lifer:

Gray Partridge - a pair were skirting the W. side of the Southern water
area.  Those late female Ruddy ducks were there too though I didn't see the
odd colored patch Chris F. mentioned. (I didn't  spend that long  watching
them once I saw the partridge.)   Also nice were the toads that were calling
continuously while I was there.

140th yielded a few shorebirds: (along w/ expected summer residents)
Semipalmated plover
Killdeer
Least Sandpiper
Semipalmated Sandpiper

140th is almost completely dried up at this point and looks really sad.  I
wonder what will become of it since the new drainage system was put in.

Along Conley Ave. I missed the Mockingbird but did notice Bank swallows are
using the dirt pile on the East side of the road.

Along Blaine Ave I found:

Rose Breasted grosbeaks right by the road between 155th and 160?

--
Sincerely,

Jim Ryan on St. Paul's Westside
651-308-0234 cell

"A man who dares to waste an hour of time has not discovered the value of
life." - Charles Darwin