[mou] possible white-eyed vireo, Henn. Cty.

James Pomplun jpomplun at cpinternet.com
Mon May 7 23:17:54 EDT 2007

Around 10am this morning walking counter-clockwise around the path at Bass
Ponds that goes from about marker #7 (by a beaver lodge) to below the farm
there, I, and three other folks, were led by an unfamiliar song that sounded
like "CHICK-aREAR" followed by a short, throaty trill. The bird had a
whitish to gray throat and breast, two distinct wing bars, and very yellow
flanks. I saw no white iris and no yellow "spectacles," and tried to hear
the odd song as a variant of a Bell's Vireo. And now, even though I was
quite sure of seeing a dark line behind the eye, I'm thinking it was more
likely a White-eyed Vireo. I would like to hear from other folks who may
have seen this bird today or tomorrow.  Jim