[mou] busy weekend

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Tue May 8 00:58:03 EDT 2007

The heavy winds brought in some good birds, but made it hard to see them.
The best bird of the weekend was viewed under such horrible conditions, that
I could not see it well enough to feel confiident of my ID.  Many of the new
birds were only heard, at times testing my ear rusty from too long a winter.

Saturday I headed down to Hok-si-lah in Lake City for a MRVAC field trip
that we hoped would be rich in warblers, vireos, thrushes, and other
migrants.  The birds were low in density.  The warbler waves were mostly
Yellow-rumps.  The vireos were brielfly heard and left un-identified.  And
the thrushes were all Robins.  Still, the eight warblers included a
Blackburnian male that was a most cooperative thriller.  We also had looks
at a brillant Indigo Bunting, a Rose-breasted Grosbeak, an Eastern Towhee,
and Lincoln Sparrows.  Birds that were definitely heard, but seen by few or
none, included Scarlet Tanager, Baltimore Oriole, Blue-winged and
Golden-winged Warblers.  When we were not scaning the trees, we found the
first blooms of Wild Geranium, and a patch of Trillium.  I left early.  I
hope the others found more interesting birds later.

I stopped briefly at Lake Bylessby at dusk, and found that looking through
the scope into the wind and concentrating on the vibrating images in the
scope I could definitely make out birds on the opposite shore.  The Pelicans
were big and white and the gulls were small and white.  I think I finally
started vibrating in the wind myself so that I could resonate with the
scope, but I was able to pick out three or four shorebirds, all plovers.
One was definitely a Killdeer and a second was a Semi-palmated Plover.  The
third was a lighter Semi-palmated Plover, which suggested a Piping Plover.
I decided to move to a more sheltered spot,  so I moved down onto the beach.
Now I was looking straight into the wind at a beach that was bare of
shorebirds.  after a careful search found no shorebirds and moved back to my
original station, and found no change in the wind,  less light and
visibility, and no shorebirds.  With my eyes tearing up from the wind, the
image the scope totally unstable, and the clouds grayer and lower, I left,
hoping to find better conditions the next day.

On Sunday with the wind blowing from the south rather than straight into my
face from the east, the trees offered some better shelter.  The shorebirds
were more numerous (or more visible) but less interesting.    There were
four or five easy Lesser Yellowlegs and about six to ten peeps.  At first I
was looking to the south at the small flock of peeps that were facing into
the wind.  Trying to ID shorebirds from their butts, is not one of my
strenghts.  But, after a while the group broke up and and a sideways
orientation revealed Semi-palmated Sandpipers.   The best find was a Yellow
Tiger Swallowtail butterfly.
In woods nearby I found my first Northern Waterthrush and American Redstart.
The gray treefrogs were beginning to call.

At 140th Street marsh, I found a bopping beautiful Spotted Sandpipper in the
last stages of molting into its spots.  The first family of Canadians had
six goslings.  I found little else of interest.  Back at Lake Quiggley, I
heard my first Chimney Swifts, Great Creasted Flycatchers and copes gray
treefrogs.

This morning (Monday), I stepped out my front door to the senernade of
Tennessee Warblers and the wary glances of a Swainson's Thrush.  I would
have liked to have found the time to check who the Tennessees were
serenading.  It sounds like it should be rich birding.

sweston2 at comcast.net