[mou] EZ to see wood thrush

Larry Sirvio lmsirvio at comcast.net
Tue May 8 15:16:01 EDT 2007

I went to Spring Lake Park Reserve (Dakota County Parks System) about
11:30AM. As I got out of the car I could
hear 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wood thrushes singing nearby.....and from the tree tops
as well. I went for the closest one and it took about 1/2 and hour to
finally see him - even though he was singing for the whole time. He was
actually in a dead tree - out in the open. Still too far for a great photo.
I took some anyway - and video of him singing. Still too far away for good
video. But still, to see that bird out in the open.....and he didn't move
for more than an hour.
I walked around the archery range trail and found another singing wood
thrush. This one was a little jumpier. He was out in the open and moved from
tree to tree whenever I approached.

There was also an ovenbird doing the same thing - out in the open - flitting
from tree to tree. This one was nervous too and wouldn't let me get close
enough for a good pic. I played his call back to him and he really
responded - flying back and forth.

My guess is that if someone wants to get a good recordings of either of
these, now would be a good time. With a good camera or maybe digiscope you
might get a good shot.

The wood thrushes were still singing when I left the part about 1PM

This park has several parts. The part I went to is located west of Hastings
off of Highway 55. The entrance is on Fahey Avenue which goes north off of
52 - about half way between Hastings and Highway 52.

Thanks to Jen Veith for putting me on this one.