[mou] Summer Tanager - Bass Ponds Hen. Cty.

chetmeyers at visi.com chetmeyers at visi.com
Wed May 9 13:50:10 EDT 2007

Chet Meyers writes:

This morning at 10:45 a.m. while looking unsuccessfully for the White-eyed Vireo
at the Bass Ponds, I heard an unfamiliar ratchity call note from a bird flying
about in the undergrowth.  Turned out it was a summer tanager that looked very
much like the "first spring" male in the National Geographic bird guide. A
combination of yellow, green and red, with more red on it than the female in
the Sibley Guide. It was observed between markers 4 and 5 in the same area the
vireo was seen yesterday.  I observed it for a good fifteen minutes as it
worked back and forth along the hillside.  Then I went back to my car and
played the Stokes tape to confirm the call-note.
Chet Meyers, Hennepin County