[mou] Red-headed Woodpecker, etc.

metterso at d.umn.edu metterso at d.umn.edu
Thu May 10 11:34:53 EDT 2007

This morning on my bike ride to work I watched a red-headed woodpecker
fly over the road and perch on a snag.  While flying, it's white
secondaries caught my eye and when it perched on the trunk of the snag
I got a great look.  It flew over Vermillion road about 1/2 mile north
of the entrance to Park Hill Cemetery in the Hunter's Park neighborhood.

As I rode down Amity Creek and into Lester Park I heard several
migrants, including:

Least Flycatcher
Great Crested Flycatcher
Nashville Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
Ovenbird
Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Yesterday in Lester Park I also heard Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Hermit
Thrush, and Northern Parula.

All this seems a bit early this year.  I've got a Northern Cardinal in
my yard sitting on three eggs since at least last Saturday.

Lot's of spring ephemerals are also blooming here.  Our Hepatica and
Bloodroot are almost done, but Anemone and Trillium are coming on and
Bellwort is justing pushing up out of the ground.  The Ammelanchier
trees have also burst into bloom in the last couple of days.

Matt Etterson