[mou] Request for Assistance; Quick Sherburne update

Pastor Al Schirmacher pastoral at princetonfreechurch.net
Thu May 10 12:33:39 EDT 2007

Taking a short birding vacation next week - Wednesday (Big Stone/Lac Qui
Parle), Thursday (Duluth & St. Louis County), Friday (Aitkin) and Saturday
(MOU Sherburne trip).

Made two trips to Big Stone/Salt Lake & environs last year, so have a basic
knowledge of the area.  Would welcome recommendations, particularly
concerning shorebird areas that might be good currently (Nathan needs Ruddy
Turnstones, American Avocets and BN Stilts for his life list - but general
shorebirds are also needed for both of our year lists).  Any reports of Blue
Grosbeaks, Mockingbirds and other "unusuals" would also be appreciated.

Thursday (Dululth & area) is actually a bit of a challenge as well.  While
we have made many trips there during our 3.5 years in Minnesota, have only
birded September through February - never during spring migration.  What
areas would be recommended (directions are also helpful, but not absolutely
necessary)?

We know Aitkin relatively well, although special birds/spots are never
turned down.

Walked Blue Hill Trail, Sherburne NWR this morning:  14 warblers (good
general migrant activity last three days), Mourning was the only new FOY.
Looking forward to our Saturday 5/19 trip together (7 AM, bring your walking
shoes, water and snacks).

Good birding to all!

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN