[mou] quick Texas summary

teamvagrant at aol.com teamvagrant at aol.com
Fri May 11 10:46:50 EDT 2007

If interested, Charlie and I made one of our trips last month.  This one was to the Rio Grande Valley.  We stayed in Mission and had 6+ days in the valley.  After a delay of about 24 hours due to airplane stuff we were able to get a quick afternoon at Bentson.  I understand that now the campers are not in the park, the birding is not near what it used to be.  We were still treated to lots of the TX specialties.
We found the Brown Jay at Chapeno after 3 long attempts.  An adult showed himself in the rain.  Talking with the folks at Chapeno and Selneno, there seems to be only about 4 jays around.  They fear that perhaps West Nile may have something to do with it.  I can't know.
A day at Sabal Palms, south of Brownsville reveled the Gray-crowned Yellow-throat!  It had not been seen for 10 days prior to our arrival.  After much patience and lots of glassing of little movements, it finally showed itself numerous times for identification, and Charlie got a decent look as well.  One other person was able to see it as well that day about an hour later in the same area.
A White-collared seedeater showed himself (with song) at a small town park, whose name escapes me, towards Falcon Dam.  Another 3 hour search which was well worth it!
The Aplomado Falcon on the Gulf coast was far away but identifiable.  Altimira's and one Audobon Oriole made our list as well as the Kingfishers.  Great look at the Green by Selneno, only about 40 feet away.  Same place the Muscovy flew by.
We did not find the Ani but most all the other specialties were very accomidating.  I surpassed the 500 mark on my list by about 18 sp. (17 if I don't count the falcon...but it is my list right?).

After returning home for 4 days of work, my wife and I went to visit friends in NM.  I had the chance to watch about 50 Lesser Prairie Chickens on their Booming grounds.  Way out in the middle of nowhere (though somewhere to them).  I was the only one there and I forgot the video camers at the hotel.   Duh...

Just thought I'd share.
Chris Elmgren