[mou] Murphy-Hanrehan-Cerulean, Hooded, Bell's Vireo

Diana Doyle diana at managingthewaterway.com
Sat May 12 21:03:38 EDT 2007

During Jim Egge's spring warbler walk at Murphy-Hanrehan this morning
we heard then saw a cerulean warbler. I assume he'll post the details.

After the walk, a group of us (Diana Doyle, Laura Coble, Susan
Plankis, Linda Whyte, and Matt Spalinski (as he said, "the other one--
not the one at TRC") continued on toward the hooded warbler area.
After listening and looking for about an hour, we had a couple of
great looks at the hooded warbler. It sang from near marker 13.

Returning around 2:00, we saw what we believe was a Bell's vireo,
just to the west of marker 11. It was very close to the path, a few
feet up, in some thickets along a wetland area. Some of our
collective comments and observations included: definitely a vireo but
described by one person as "kinglet-like" because it was small and
active, a weak eye ring, no supercilium, no spectacles, a thin "weak"
wing bar but no a bold wing bars, very active: it moved continually
in the wetland brush, one observer noted it bobbing its tail.

Diana Doyle
S. Minneapolis