[mou] Spring Lake trip report

Richard Wood rwoodphd at yahoo.com
Sat May 12 22:18:01 EDT 2007

Hi all,

As promised, here is my report for the trip to Spring Lake trip that my wife and I (along with members of the MRV Audubon chapter and Steve Weston) took this morning.

We had not planned on meeting up with the MRV people, in fact we weren't aware that they would be there today.  That being said, it was a nice surprise when we ran into them and they allowed us to join their outing.  We have never met a nicer, friendlier group of birding than those that we encountered today.

When we arrived, they had already seen a few birds, including a Red-headed Woodpecer, which Jill and I missed.  We proceeded to do the Schaar's Bluff Trail, where we had as highlights: American Redstarts, Red-eyed and Yellow-throated Vireos, Tennessee Warblers, Wood Thrushes, a pair of mating Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Baltimore Oriole, Scarlet Tanager, Nashville Warbler, and Eastern Wood-pewee.  We then made it back to the picnic area, where we took a lunch break.  Jill and I went home to get some food, and on the way out of the park, we believe we may have seen a Lark Sparrow fly out of the plowed field to our right.

After lunch, we were joined by Steve Weston, and on the way to the Lower Spring Lake Park Reserve, we saw a Swainson's hawk and a very immature Bald Eagle flying over us on Rt. 42.  At Lower Spring Lake, the highlights were Field, Lincoln's, Vesper, and Clay-colored Sparrows, Palm, Wilson's, and Yellow Warblers, Ovenbird, Gray Catbird, Scarlet Tanagers, Wood Thrushes, and Yellow-bellied and Least Flycatchers.

As mentioned in my previous post, when we got home to Hastings, we found a pair of Blue-Headed Vireos in the tree over our deck.  Later on, we also had a Warbling Vireo in the same tree.

Below is the complete list of what Jill and I observed today.  Note that I did not include the possible Lark Sparrow that we may have seen.

Good birding,
Richard
Hastings, MN

Spring
Lake 5/12/2007

Author:
Richard Wood

Length:
56

Contents:

American
White Pelican  (Pelecanus
erythrorhynchos)

Great
Blue Heron  (Ardea herodias)

Turkey
Vulture  (Cathartes aura)

Canada
Goose  (Branta canadensis)

Mallard  (Anas platyrhynchos)

Bald
Eagle  (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)

Swainson's
Hawk  (Buteo swainsoni)

Red-tailed
Hawk  (Buteo jamaicensis)

Ring-billed
Gull  (Larus delawarensis)

Mourning
Dove  (Zenaida macroura)

Red-bellied
Woodpecker  (Melanerpes carolinus)

Downy
Woodpecker  (Picoides pubescens)

Hairy
Woodpecker  (Picoides villosus)

Northern
Flicker  (Colaptes auratus)

Pileated
Woodpecker  (Dryocopus pileatus)

Eastern
Wood-Pewee  (Contopus virens)

Yellow-bellied
Flycatcher  (Empidonax flaviventris)

Least
Flycatcher  (Empidonax minimus)

Eastern
Phoebe  (Sayornis phoebe)

Great
Crested Flycatcher  (Myiarchus crinitus)

Yellow-throated
Vireo  (Vireo flavifrons)

Warbling
Vireo  (Vireo gilvus)