[mou] Mockingbird Kanabec co

Craig cbird at nsatel.net
Mon May 14 12:07:29 EDT 2007

Since there have been a number of people calling for direction to look for the Mockingbird I figured I will just post directions.  As I mentioned before Oakwood cemetery is on the northwest side of town.  If you go through downtown Mora and go to end of Union street to the 3 way stop and take a left on Maple Ave.  As your going westward Maple Ave eventually turns into County Rd 6 and on the last curve before the river take a right on West Central Ave which runs along the cemetery. If you go over the river you've gone to far.  Take the first entrance which is the west side of the cemetery and  there is a overgrown fence line that runs the length of the cemetery on the west side.  The main road is tar and its probably best just to stay on the main road when looking for the bird since it seems pretty skittish.  Go past the 2nd driveway on your left and look for 2 spruce trees to the west along the fence line. Look for the Beckstrom headstone  as this seem to be his favorite perch.   Lastly please don't use a tape player or walk to closely to try and lure the bird out.  He seems to be setting up a territory and seems to be protecting that area from other birds.  You should have no problem seeing him with patients.  If anyone has questions just let me know

Craig Menze
Mora