[mou] Mankato Area Birding - 5/14/2007

CRAIG MANDEL EgretCMan at msn.com
Mon May 14 18:48:08 EDT 2007

May 14, 2007

Had a change in my schedule and spent the day with a small group bird
watching in the Mankato area, instead of Fairmont.  We heard more birds than
we observed, but did observe some very nice species.  Here is a list of a
few of those with locations of the sighting.

8:00 - 8:30 am - Minneopa State Park - Falls area - Louisiana Waterthrush -
First heard then observed a singing Louisiana Waterthrush from the gray
wooden bridge that crosses over Minneopa creek, about 100 yards from the
falls.

9:15 - 10:30 am - Williams Nature Center - Kentucky Warbler - We observed a
singing male Kentucky Warbler at Williams Nature Center.  To reach the area
that we observed the bird at from the parking lot, head on the trail to the
right of the nature center and take the first trail to the right.  Follow
this around through the thick Oak wood lot and into the more open wood area.
The bird was singing from a perch about 25 feet off the ground, on the left
side of the trail and back in about 150 feet.  It took some time for the
entire group to see the bird, as it was back in a ways.  But if it continues
in that area it should be easy to see with some patience.  Its favorite
perch was behind a fairly large tree with lots of missing bark.

11:00 - Noon - Seven Mile Creek County Park
Yellow-billed Cuckoo - Just West of the last parking lot
Cerulean Warbler - A male was singing from one of the tallest Cottonwood
trees on the South side of the ravine.  We parked at the parking lot for the
first picnic shelter and the bird was just South of that.

Craig Mandel, Minnetonka, MN
EgretCMan at msn.com