[mou] BTBW at Wood Lake(Richfield, Hennepin Co.)

linda birds at moosewoods.us
Tue May 15 00:36:53 EDT 2007

Many thanks to those who posted about the black-throated blue warbler at
Wood Lake. It's been a personal "grail bird" for some time. Upon
entering Wood Lake at the Oak Grove Blvd./S. Bryant intersection this
afternoon (3:00), I heard him calling. He continued to vocalize at
regular intervals, and may even have a companion. I listened and
searched for an hour, hearing him on either side of the path that runs
east-west along the fenceline. He was usually high in the canopy, but in
response to my feeble attempts to imitate him, he did perch within about
15 feet of me. He gave both front and rear views, and broke into song
where I could watch him. His throat was like black velvet, and his
uppers were a deep indigo--very lovely. After supper, my other half came
to see him, and we lucked out eventually with a good look at about eye
height. We could see the white wing-spot clearly, as we watched him sing.

Incredibly, the ceruleans have been a bit cooperative, too, this past
week. One afternoon at Bass Ponds, by the stream, I saw an almost
unearthly flash of spruce blue-green disappear into a large cottonwood
tree. Airplane noise drowned out what I fancied was a cerulean sound,
and I eventually dismissed it as overeager imagination. Then I went home
and read the posts about ceruleans there, and realized I might have seen
a female. The next morning I returned and was greeted with song from
multiple ceruleans. I even saw one singing---from below. Unfortunately,
I never saw an upper view.

At Murphy-Hanrehan on Saturday, our group was treated to a cerulean
serenade. Some folks even got to see flashes of blue, which was all I
saw of them there last year. My next quest is to get a really good look.

Linda Whyte