[mou] To Share or Not to Share

Pastor Al Schirmacher pastoral at princetonfreechurch.net
Tue May 15 11:00:30 EDT 2007

To readers who do not write or share much:

* Why not?

There's a significant minority of MNBird and MOU-net participants who share regularly.  However, if my back channel discussions and field experiences with other birders are any indication, many observations, questions and opinions are never shared.  Again, what holds us back?

* Fear?  Concern about negative responses?  Afraid of not measuring up to others?  Trying to avoid ID mistakes or loss of face?

* Busy-ness?

* Habit of using the lists only to glean information, rather than sharing?

* Concern about disturbing rare species or favorite spots?

* Past negative experiences?

* Others?

I'm not trying to create a controversy, rather, address a situation factually.  As with past "surveys", feel free to back channel me.  If I receive enough responses, will be happy to share anonymous responses.

Good birding to all!

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties