[mou] Yellow-billed Cuckoo and Indigo Buntings, Roseville

cjsteiny at comcast.net cjsteiny at comcast.net
Tue May 15 14:45:23 EDT 2007

The Tuesday Morning Bird Walk with Clay Christensen and the St. Paul Audubon group birded at Reservoir Woods in Roseville this morning.  The highlight of our morning was a Yellow-billed Cuckoo.  Park at the entrance on the north side of Larpenteur Ave., between Dale and Rice Streets (across the street from Elmhurst Cemetery).  Follow the paved path into the ravine, past the dog park, up through the pine trees, and downhill again.  Watch for an unpaved path to the right.  Follow that.  We had heard the Cuckoo calling when we were by the pine trees.  We saw Indigo Buntings in the shrubby, open area on our left, then spotted this YBC further along the path - in the trees on the left just before the pond comes into view.  The Cuckoo was secretive at first, then came out on a bare tree branch to pose for us at length -about 7 feet off the ground and quite close to the path.  The day was cool, windy, and cloudy.  The time was about 9 am.

Cheri Steinmueller
Little Canada, MN