[mou] RFI: Trumpeter vs. Tundra Swans

Pat DeWenter hoocooks4you at yahoo.com
Tue May 15 19:04:29 EDT 2007

I read and studied Kim's article comparing Trumpeter and Tundra Swans.  But I have one more question that I couldn't find in my books or the MOU site.

  We birded west of here last Sunday.  In 2 spots along Hwy. 2 we saw small ponds with 2 swans, which I assumed were probably breeding Trumpeter pairs.  However, on a larger pond near Fosston we saw a group of about 8 Swans.  We were driving along at a pretty good clip, as we were trying to get to the "Henslow Sparrow" site in Polk Co.  At the time I assumed these were all Trumpeter Swans, but after I got home I had some second thoughts.

  Are Tundra Swans all out of our area by May?  What are the odds that this large group could have still been migrating Tundra Swans?

  Any insight from any of you would be much appreciated!
  Pat DeWenter
  Bemidji/Beltrami Co.