[mou] Year of the Siskins/Beltrami Co.

jotcat jotcat at boreal.org
Wed May 16 10:31:57 EDT 2007

Last week we had over 50 Pine Siskins at our thistle feeders, but the numbers declined over the weekend and as of yesterday we saw only 2, although both of us were gone in the middle of the day.  Usually the largest number would show up late in the day - tank up before taking off, I guess.  Last summer, fall and most of the winter we had no siskins, redpolls or other winter finches.  They showed up after the March snows, and we have had two 'waves' of siskins.  No Pine Grosbeaks all winter or spring.

Other finches and sparrows have been delightful - more Harris', Clay-colored and White-crowned than usual this spring, quite a few Fox sparrows early in April with the juncos, but they didn't stay long.  The best treat was the adult Lark Sparrow we reported April 30, which stayed here 3 days.  Rose-breasted grosbeaks here today, remains of one male found on our driveway May 7.  One pair of Evening Grosbeaks here May 3, seen again May 11.  We are now using up the last of our seed and rescuing feeders from a pesky bear so the finch  fun is about over.

Now where are the thrushes?  Have seen only one Hermit Th. so far, but had a Brown Thrasher singing in our neighborhood yesterday.  Tree Swallows (one pair) have moved into one cell of our old martin house for the third year.  They successfully raised broods past two years.  Black-throated Green Warblers back in neighborhood, Ruby-crowned Kinglets still singing here, lots had arrived May 3, so hope some will nest in the neighborhood this year.  Fewer than usual Yellow-rumps.  In fact, first warbler here was a Nashville on May 7.  A lot of Blue Jays moved in this week also.  The 2 or so we had around most of the winter had moved on a few weeks ago.

Spotted a male Red-bellied Woodpecker in Silver Bay (Lake Co.)  last Friday (May 11), had a report (good description from non-birder) of a female Black-backed Woodpecker on one of the trails north of Silver Bay earlier that week.

Carol Tveekrem, Schroeder, Cook Co.