[mou] St. Paul: 1 Hooded, 0 Prothonotaries

Julian Sellers JulianSellers at msn.com
Fri May 18 16:04:42 EDT 2007

I checked the SE corner of Crosby Farm Park this morning, where Prothonotary Warblers have nested in recent years.  In the 20 minutes or so that I was there, I did not see or hear any.  That part of the park was full of American Redstarts, with some Indigo Buntings, Warbling and Red-eyed Vireos, Baltimore Orioles, and a trio of Spotted Sandpipers.

Then I drove to the Battle Creek Park woodland bounded by Upper Afton Road, Winthrop Street, Lower Afton Road, and Battle Creek Road.  Last year, there were two singing Hooded Warblers there, one in the woods on the southern slope, and one in the northern part of the woods.  Today, late morning, one was singing actively in the oaks on the southern slope.  Mourning Warblers have also been present in recent years, but I did not find any today.  The woods were full of Tennessee Warblers and a variety of other birds.  I saw one each of Blackburnian, Black-and-White, and Chestnut-sided Warblers, and heard two or three Ovenbirds and a couple of Scarlet Tanagers.

Last year there was another Hooded Warbler in the woods east of McKnight Road (still Battle Creek Park).  I did not get to that part of the park today.

Julian Sellers
St. Paul