[mou] Fwd: eBird Report - Itasca State Park , 5/18/07

Pat DeWenter hoocooks4you at yahoo.com
Fri May 18 18:24:44 EDT 2007

    It was a beautiful day for birding!  The birds were in full song all morning.  I have never heard as many Northern Parulas singing as I did today!  Also many Chestnut-sided Warblers and Ovenbirds added to the chorus.  The highlights of today were seeing 2 Mourning Warblers and all the Evening Grosbeaks, which we haven't seen often in the past 10 years.

Location: Itasca State Park
Observation date: 5/18/07
Notes: some of the higher numbers are estimates, many were heard only.
Number of species: 44

Ring-necked Duck 4
Hooded Merganser 2
Ruffed Grouse 2 drumming
Common Loon 1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 2
Hairy Woodpecker 3 (2 were a male and female and nesting cavity)
Eastern Wood-Pewee 1
Least Flycatcher 10 (or more!)
Eastern Phoebe 3
Yellow-throated Vireo 1
Red-eyed Vireo 3
Blue Jay 1
Barn Swallow X
Black-capped Chickadee 2
Red-breasted Nuthatch 2
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet 1
Veery 2 (displaying in parking lot of one trailhead)
Swainson's Thrush 1
Hermit Thrush 1 seen, also another one heard only
American Robin 4
Gray Catbird 1
Golden-winged Warbler 3
Nashville Warbler 8 (most heard only)
Northern Parula 12 (saw 3, the others were heard only)
Chestnut-sided Warbler 12 (most of them heard only)
Black-throated Green Warbler 2 (heard)
Pine Warbler 2
Black-and-white Warbler 6
American Redstart 8
Ovenbird 8
Mourning Warbler 3 (saw 2 plus 1 more heard only)
Common Yellowthroat 5
Chipping Sparrow 6
Clay-colored Sparrow 3
Song Sparrow 4
White-throated Sparrow 4
Indigo Bunting 2
Red-winged Blackbird X
Brown-headed Cowbird X
Baltimore Oriole 2
Pine Siskin 2
American Goldfinch 1
Evening Grosbeak- approximately 6 (at feeder and in yard at Bert's Cabins, on north end of Itasca State Park

  Pat DeWenter
  Bemidji/ Beltrami Co.