[mou] Itasca County Red-headed Woodpecker

shawn conrad dingermcduff at hotmail.com
Fri May 18 23:49:08 EDT 2007

I was treated to a Red-headed Woodpecker today in my yard in Bovey!  Despite
the fruit and suet I have out, it preferred to make several trips to my tube
feeder filled with sunflower seeds.  Hopefully it will stick around for a
few days, as this is a real treat up north.

On a side note, I have 2 wren boxes and 2 bluebird boxes in my little yard
in town.  One wren box has a chickadee sitting on 7 eggs and the other has
been ignored.  Of the bluebird boxes, one has a pair of tree swallows and
the other has been partially filled with twigs by the wren that nests in my
neighbor's box, probably to preempt any other bird that might try to move in
next door.

Last year my boxes gave me a brood of bluebirds and a brood of house wrens.
I wonder what I should expect next year...

Shawn Conrad
Bovey