[mou] YB Cuckoo and L Byllesby

hagsela at aol.com hagsela at aol.com
Mon May 21 02:53:02 CDT 2007

 We were presently surprised Sunday afternoon to find a Yellow-billed Cuckoo along the river trail at Spring Lake Park's archery area. It was silent, but luckily we saw it fly into a tree where it stayed long enough for us to get good looks.

 We looked for the Prothonotary Warbler reported from Etters Bottoms without success. The wind perhaps was keeping it down and quiet.

 Thanks to Jim Otto for posting the Western Kingbird for me. It was totally unexpected! It was west of 130th Av. on 260th St. by less than .1 mile in Goodhue Cty. This is just west of Welch and is near the Dakota border. It was hawking insects from a wire (electric?) fence in the company of it's Eastern Kingbird cousin.

 I stopped at Lake Byllesby's west end and found mud flats much smaller than previously, but still extensive enough to host shore birds. There were over a dozen Dunlins and three or so Sanderlings.
 Linda Sparling
 Hennepin County