[mou] Hooded Warbler; Rice County

Dave Bartkey screechowl at charter.net
Mon May 21 17:01:02 CDT 2007

Hi everyone,

  I spent the morning birding with Jerry Bonkoski and John Hockema and we
first heard and then saw a nice male Hooded Warbler on the east side of
Cannon River Wilderness Park. To get to the east side of the park, take Hwy.
3 south through Northfield to the southern edge of town, just past Menards
and take C.R. 20 to the left. Go 2.8 miles to a wide spot on the right
shoulder. Park here and walk the trail down the steps and through the bottom
of the ravine. There is pretty much only one trail, stick to the one that
looks the most used. You will get to a spot that levels off on the right but
there is a hillside on your left. Here is where the bird was singing.

  We also had several other species of warbler including Cerulean, Canada,
Mourning, Black-throated Green, Blue-winged and Wilson's.

  Other nice birds we got today were 4 species of empids, all singing;
Acadian, Alder, Willow and Least Flycatchers, Swainson's and Wood Thrushes,
and at the lakes,

 Common, Forsters and Black Terns. We totaled 105 species.

Good birding!

Dave Bartkey

Faribault, MN

screechowl at charter.net