[mou] Piping Plover, Whimbrels & possible Arctic Tern in Duluth

Eckert K R eckertkr at gmail.com
Mon May 21 18:39:28 CDT 2007

Late this afternoon there were a Piping Plover and 13 Whimbrels on the
Hearding Island sandbars at Park Point in Duluth. The plover was on a
sandbar on the S side of the island, which is visible from 24th St, and
the Whimbrels (along with 2 Marbled Godwits) were on the flats on the W
side of the island, visible from the usual site behind the Bayside
Market at 19th St.

There were also several hundred terns flying out over L Superior along
the entire length of Park Point between Canal Park and the Recreation
Area, although they were mostly too far out to ID and the off-lake
winds made them difficult to scope. Most, if not all, appeared to be
Common Terns, although I did have a possible adult Arctic Tern perched
next to a Common Tern on a buoy by the boat ramp at the Recreation
Area. With direct comparison as viewed through binoculars, its legs
were shorter, the underparts grayer, and the lower edge of its black
cap had a different appearance (as shown in Sibley). However, I never
had an unambiguous view of its bill, and I never saw its wing pattern
or flight profile, since the terns flew off as I was setting up my
scope.

- Kim Eckert

(Please note new e-mail address <eckertkr at gmail.com>)