[mou] Maybe its time for two lists

Mike Hendrickson smithville4 at charter.net
Fri May 25 15:32:35 CDT 2007

MnBird is a private listserv own and operated by a woman birder along with her husband out of Winona, Minn. MnBird is not at all associated with the MOU organization except for those who are MOU members that only post to MnBird, other than that MnBird is a private listserv, just like the Polk Co. listserv and the Rice Co. listserv.

MOU Organization owns and operates one listserv and that is the MOU listserv.  In the past I spoke out on how the MOU listserv could serve both serve the backyard sightings, local bird hike sightings, conservation notices, RFI to other bird locations ect.. type of postings and the "alert" type postings that report accidental/casual/ and out of range or season type birds that show up in Minnesota.  WELL I am going to have to eat my words and say that maybe its time the MOU like the Michigan folks have two listservs.  The MOU listserv that is running presently will be for every day sightings (migration postings, local hikes, RFI to other locations, conservation news, bird announcements about jobs, volunteer positions and ect) The other listserv that would be owned and managed by the MOU and would only be used by birders who will post only accidentals, casuals, out of range in Mn and out of season birds.  This new listserv would have to be managed very tight to make sure only certain birds would be allowed on this listserv.

In the past when this subject was brought up a few people spoke on how confusing this will be. Well it will not be confusing at all.  If you took a bird walk down to Cedar Bridge and you saw some migrants but nothing else spectacular than post that sighting to the MOU listserv and if you were at Salt Lake in Lac Qui Parle Co. and you spotted a Cassin's Kingbird than post it to the new listserv.  Now some people will say "but we already have Mnbird for the non-rarity type postings"  Yes that is true but again Mnbird is a private email and is not own or managed by MOU.  Having a third listserv will cater to those who delete a lot of emails based on subject lines that do not interest them because they are more interested in rarities or birds out of place rather than having their inbox filled with hummingbird food recipes or what type of jelly orioles prefer.

I support a second listserv and this will make everyone happy.

Michael Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Lake Superior Boat Trips
http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/