[mou] Park Point & Duluth

shawn conrad dingermcduff at hotmail.com
Mon May 28 20:47:29 CDT 2007

I was lured into making a day for Park Point today.  I missed out on several
of the rarities, but had good luck anyway.  I found 70 species, with these
highlights:

Piping Plover (lifer!), Green-winged Teal, & several Dunlins on the flats at
40th Street
Ruddy Duck, Merlin, & Green Heron around the ponds at 40th Street
Red-headed Woodpecker at Park Point Rec Area....either I saw it 4 times or
had multiple birds; 4 Sanderlings and Green-winged Teal at same location
American White Pelicans at Interstate Island

Just for the heck of it, I shelled out the $12 for an hour harbor cruise on
the VISTA King.  The cruise actually goes around the far side of Interstate
Island (OK views!) where I was able to spot 2 Black-bellied Plovers with my
binoculars!  Lots of Common Terns and added Cliff and Northern Rough-winged
Swallows to my Wisconsin list.  No Whimbrels anywhere and even an hour on
the lake couldn't end my 3 year streak of whiffs on the Red-throated Loon.
I'll never see that bird....

Also, I stopped at the home that hosted the Summer Tanager.  It was a
regular until Saturday and hasn't been seen since.  I've got jelly out....

On the way home, I had a few Bobolinks at the intersection of 446 & 10 in
Itasca County (finally) and tried for Yellow Rail at the little marshy
turnoff along Hwy 2, just NW of the Aitkin County border but had to be
satisfied with a Marsh Wren (not an easy bird in Itasca).

Shawn Conrad
http://users.2z.net/itasca_chippewa_birding/