[mou] spring migrants over the open waters of Lake Superior

Sarah Grosshuesch sdgrossh at d.umn.edu
Tue May 29 10:55:41 CDT 2007

Ever wonder about migrants crossing the open waters of Lake Superior?

While aboard the U of MN Large Lakes Observatory's R/V Blue Heron May
23-27 and in the near vicinity of NOAA weather buoy 45006 situated in
Lake Superior
(http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=45006), I saw the
following migrants:  American Redstart (2), Tree Swallow,
Chestnut-sided Warbler (2), Northern Waterthrush, Canada Warbler,
another unidentified warbler, an unidentified falcon, and a flock of
30+ small-ish shorebirds (flying by ? bigger than peeps, smaller than
mid-size shorebird types).  On other trips to the same site, I've seen
Peregrine Falcon, Northern Flicker, and Black-throated Green Warbler.
An American Coot was seen swimming along 10+ miles off the Apostle
Islands on the 23rd.  The ship's crew keeps a running list of species
seen while on the Lake.  Last summer, a young-of-the-year Northern
Sawhet Owl spent a day on board the ship 30 miles east of the Keewenaw
Peninsula.

LOTs of migrants could be heard the evening of May 23.  That evening
was calm and foggy.  The first call notes sounded to me like
shorebirds, after that most of the chips were a mystery to me.  One of
the crew members commented that the birds in the nighttime fog looked
liked bats.  The weather turned cold, windy and rainy on the 24th.  A
Northern Waterthrush and American Redstart were found dead on board.
Another American Redstart joined us on the 26th and survived the trip
back to Duluth, flying off to Park Point on the 27th.

In pleasant weather, warblers on board forage for food.  (You'd be
surprised how many flies there are out in the middle of the lake.)  The
birds are quite approachable and if you remain still, will eventually
land nearby for great looks.  I once had an adult male Black-throated
Green perch on my lap; on this cruise, an adult male Chestnut-sided
landed on my shirt collar.  It's a thrill to be so close to the birds
but at the same time hard to imagine that they'll survive the flight to
land, especially when the weather turns sour.

Sarah Grosshuesch