[mou] Afton State Park

Julian Sellers JulianSellers at msn.com
Tue May 29 19:36:10 CDT 2007

I birded Afton State Park last Friday and Monday.  Highlights:

Henslow's Sparrow - 1 (See location info below)
Grasshopper Sparrow - several
Savannah Sparrow - several
Field Sparrow - many
Vesper Sparrow - 1
Eastern Towhee - many
Ruffed Grouse -1 (heard drumming)
Black-billed Cuckoo - 1 (Friday, near entrance)
Blue-winged Warbler - good numbers
Ovenbird - many
Scarlet Tanager - good numbers
Canada Warbler - 1 (Friday)
Orchard Oriole - 1 (Friday)
Eastern Meadowlark - good numbers
Sedge Wren - several

No Bobolinks (Why?)

To the Henslow's (refer to a map of the park trails):  From the northern park boundary, west of center, a trail goes due south for 0.3 miles, where it branches west and east.  The east branch curves to the south and comes to a four-way intersection where there is a shelter (shown by a symbol on the map).  From this intersection, go west a short distance to the first large wooden post.  The Henslow's was singing about 30 meters south (left) of the trail in this area.  This is a very large, open grassland, so there may be more Henslow's present, but I only heard the one.

Julian Sellers
St. Paul