[mou] 14 New Mergs Take The Plunge

Don Darnell darnell48 at earthlink.net
Tue May 29 16:47:18 CDT 2007

We set up a pole-mounted Wood Duck box a few feet off shore here on Red Rock Lake (Eden Prairie, Hennepin County) on March 25th; the next day Wood Ducks and  Hooded Mergansers began the homestead wars, with a stubborn merg hen finally winning out.

I happened to look out the window this morning in time to watch the last 6 ducklings hit the water (8 were already in the lake with mom).  This afternoon I put on the wadders and found one dormant egg still in the box.  So, 14 out of 15 here on the north end of Red Rock Lake on this 29th day  of May, 2007.

Peacefully,
Don Darnell