[mou] Common Moorhen -Duluth

Mike Hendrickson smithville4 at charter.net
Thu May 31 19:53:22 CDT 2007

I relocated the Common Moorhen that was reported by Laura Erickson on May 30th at Indian Pt. Campground.  At 3:45pm I found the Common Moorhen working the edges of the cattail marsh on the east side of the point.   Indian Pt. Campground is located opposite of the Duluth Zoo or behind the Munger Inn Motel.  Get off I-35 on Hwy 23/Grand Avenue and follow Grand Avenue west to the Munger Motel. On the west side of the motel is a black top road that leads out to the campground.  Follow the pave road across some RR tracks and keep heading south till you reach the entrance of the campground.  Once in the campground park near the office/restroom building and walk down the hill to the gravel path below.  Once on the path walk, to your right for about 60 yards and look for an opening to view the marsh.  Check the edges of the green cattail marsh and the mud flats for the Moorhen foraging for food.  For a landmark there should be three house on top of the hill above this marsh, a cedar sided house, a greyish white house and a tan house.  The Common Moorhen was found Thursday at 3:45pm and was viewed by Don Kienholtz, Kim Eckert, Linda Sparling and Peder Svingen. The bird was still in view at 5:00pm.

Good Birding!

Michael Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota
Lake Superior Boat Trips