[mou] Northshore Birding Report - 11/5/2007

CRAIG MANDEL EgretCMan at msn.com
Tue Nov 6 05:22:16 CST 2007

11/5/2007

While leading a Minnesota Birding Weekend trip today, we encountered a few migrant land birds along the Northshore of lake Superior and refound the previously reported Inca Dove in Two Harbors.  There were a few Mergansers on Lake Superior and one Red-necked Grebe, but we were unable to find any Scoters or Long-tailed Ducks at a dozen stops along the lake.  The Northwest winds did provide us with a few Hawks to study, including a Peregrine Falcon and a Merlin hunting in Two Harbors.  Here are a few of the species we encountered during the day.

Rough-legged Hawk - Lake and Cook counties
Merlin - Two Harbors
Peregrine Falcon - Two Harbors
Inca Dove - 10:00 am - 11:00 am - The bird was sitting in a Cedar tree, at the corner of 2nd Ave & 3rd St (304 2nd Ave.).
Boreal Chickadee - Iona's Beach & Sugarloaf Cove - Individual birds were observed at both locations.
Gray Catbird - Knife River marina.
Bohemian Waxwing - 7 or 8 locations beginning at the Knife River.
Harris's Sparrow - Two were observed at Iona's Beach.
Snow Bunting - Large numbers of these continue to migrate along the lake and Highway 61, between Duluth and Grand Marais.
Rusty Blackbird - Four were observed at Stoney Point.
Pine Grosbeak - Several dozen were observed along the Harbor walk trail in Two Harbors and also in flight over Stoney Point.
Common Redpoll - A small flock was observed at Sugarloaf Cove.
Pine Siskin - Small flocks were seen in a number of locations along the drive to Grand Marais.

Craig Mandel
Minnetonka, MN
EgretCMan at msn.com<mailto:EgretCMan at msn.com>