[mou] 140th marsh blues- Dakota Co.

James Mattsson mattjim at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 6 15:14:37 CST 2007

It doesn't look good for the little wetland located 1/2 mi. east of Hi 52 along 140th St.  One of Dakota County's most popular birding wetlands no longer seems capable of holding water.  I drove by today for the first time in a couple of months expecting to see at least some standing water following all the rain that has fallen in recent weeks. But the wetland is bone dry. The pipeline project that was routed adjacent to the wetland in 2006 apparently has altered the wetland's drainage for good. I'm not sure how. If this is the case and the damage is permanent, it is a real shame. To make things worse the very birdy brushy hillside just to the east of the wetland has been totally denuded - all the vegetation has been removed right up to the fence. Nothing but dirt now. This is a pattern becoming all too familiar throughout the county.

James Mattsson
mattjim at earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.