[mou] Northshore Birding Report - 11/6/2007

CRAIG MANDEL EgretCMan at msn.com
Wed Nov 7 05:26:02 CST 2007

11/6/2007

Our MBW group finished our trip along the Northshore today.  Birding at Grand Marais in the morning and then heading up to Hovland.  We relocated the Mountain Bluebirds, one of the Hoary Redpolls and the small number of ducks that had been posted previously.  We also found a Townsend's Solitaire on the Croftville road, as well as a Black-backed Woodpecker in the same location.  Here are some of the birds we observed.

Surf Scoter - One bird was observed in the Grand Marais Harbor.
Black Scoter - One bird was observed in Hovland.
Long-tailed Duck - Several were observed in flight at Paradise Beach and several were observed at Hovland.
Common Goldeneye - Several large rafts of Goldeneye's were observed on the Bay side of Park Point in the late afternoon.
Black-backed Woodpecker - Close flyby along the Croftville road.
Mountain Bluebird - Both Mountain Bluebirds were still present in Grand Marais, between 7:00 and 8:30 am.  We observed them in the Lake side trees, next to the Shoreline Motel.
Townsend's Solitaire - A Townsend's Solitaire was observed by our group at 1427 Croftville Road.  We observed the bird on the lake side of the road between 10:15 and 10:30 am.  At which time the bird flew down the street towards Grand Marais and out of view.  One person in our group observed the bird a few houses to the East of the original location, at about 10:45 am. So its possible the bird may stick around in that general area.
American Pipit - Grand Marais Harbor, on the beach in the campground.
Bohemian Waxwing - Campground in Grand Marais.
Lapland Longspur - A single bird was observed feeding in the gravel along the road, next to the old boat ramp in the town of Hovland.
Rusty Blackbird - Grand Marais, in flight migrant.
Hoary Redpoll - The number of Redpolls has increased in the campground in Grand Marais, to about 30.  But it appears that at least one of the previously reported Hoary Redpolls has stuck around.  We had some very close looks at one, as it feed in a small Birch tree in the open area of the campground.  Note the birds were moving around.

Craig Mandel
Minnetonka, MN
EgretCMan at msn.com<mailto:EgretCMan at msn.com>