[mou] Long-eared Owl Refound

alyssa tiger150 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 10 10:24:02 CST 2007

My dad and I headed out to MAC Wildlife Area in Crystal, Hennepin Co, to see the Long-eared Owl reported yesterday. Finally, at 9:30am, we caught up with a group of 15 birders who had found the owl a ways of the trail. There is a quicker way to get to the spot rather than walking for 10 minutes around the park. Off of Bass Lake Rd, turn on Regent. At the end of Regent, where it meets up with 60th, you can park right by the baseball diamond, located right by the airport. (There is also a foot trail at the corner of Quail and 60th; it's a 90 degree turn.) If you take the main trail east, and right before the boardwalk, there is a somewhat beaten-down trail heading south. It weaves through a little (if you see an old tennis ball and a pot, you're on the right trail.) The owl, which appeared to be a male, was just a few feet off the ground, almost in somebody's yard. He was completely aware of our presence as he stared at us the entire time we looked at him, about 8 yards away. Thanks, Jim Otto, and all the other birders who helped me see it! I would have never found it on my own. E-mail for any more specific directions...

Alyssa DeRubeis
tiger150 at comcast.net